Friday, January 18, 2008

Even though it hadn’t been ridden in a couple of years it still seemed to have gunk building up on it. That’s my story any way. In reality I just love the cleaning and polishing of bikes as much as I like riding them.

Soon after this picture was taken I also purchased a 1973 BMW r75/5. This too resided in the kitchen. I had no garage at the time. And it would be a crime to put a cherry old Beemer outside in the weather. Besides, I like to be able to see my bikes any time I want. The BMW was a great bike. Exceptional condition. Fun to ride. But I digress.

Having the Beemer as my daily rider inspired me to dive into the Norton. It seems to be easier to tear a bike apart if you have another one to ride in the mean time. My mechanical ability had increased exponentially over the preceding three or four years. I had successfully undertaken some fairly major mechanical projects on my four wheeled vehicles. Driveway based timing chain replacement of a one ton box van. Front wheel bearing replacement and fragged bearing race removal in the Lowes parking lot at 10 o’clock at night. Don’t ask. During the same time period I had a few other bikes that didn’t make it into the story. They really don’t matter. This is all about my Norton. All the other vehicles did for me was provide a knowledge base. They were always secondary to my first true love. OK First Crush. My wife is my first true love.

In the winter of 2003, I think. I went at the Norton full speed ahead. I decided to address all of the cosmetic issues and add a few little goodies to help it impress the locals.

Here is partial list of the upgrades in no particular order:
New paint and decals
QPD belt drive kit
Dual Mikuni carb conversion
Stainless front brake line
Rebuilt master cylinder
Halogen headlight conversion
Tomasselli super pratic ¼ turn throttle
Braided clutch cable
Clubman handlebars
Boyer electronic ignition
New brake pads front and rear
Ventilated primary cover
Dyno Dave clutch rod seal
Braided stainless oil lines
Stainless rocker lines
Stainless fuel overflow lines
Anti-sump valve
New plugs/wires/coils
Rear set controls
Chain guard extension
Bar end mirrors
Relocated ignition switch
Stainless allen head bolts on covers
Exhaust rubbers
Oil tank rubbers
Exhaust bracket set
New pea shooters
New Dunlops front and rear

No comments: